Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why Homeschooling?

I can't really remember a time when I didn't consider homeschooling my kids. Though my husband and I both had good experiences in public school, and though neither of us would ever look down on anyone for sending their kids to public school, we really don't like the direction that schools seem to be going these days. To me, it seems like most of the time in school is spent on the slower learners (makes sense, considering the classes often have 25 or more kids in them, so someone's bound to be overlooked). Out of 8 hours in a school day, many of those are spent waiting for others to understand the concepts, walking from classroom to classroom, or doing other "activities" that aren't always catered to each individual child's learning technique. Ideally, I would love to be able to send our kids to a private Christian school. Right now, we financially cannot afford that option, and there are not a lot of good ones around here!







I have always been committed to staying home with my kids. A lot of it is financial-- I'm not sure how we could afford to send 2 to daycare right now, but the other part of it is that I'm not sure I want someone else teaching my kids. I want them to learn the things that are important to our family. I want them to have individual attention they couldn't get in a school setting, so they can flourish and grow into well-rounded individuals. Now, eventually, when they're older, we will re-evaluate all this and decide whether to continue homeschooling or do something else, but right now these are my opinions, and I am so excited to start teaching my kids.





I know there will be many challenges-- especially when there are 2 to homeschool (or 1 homeschooling and the other toddling around creating havoc!), and especially when I have absolutely no teaching skills whatsoever, but we are relying on our God to help us through this daunting task-- nothing is too big for Him and He knows exactly what our kids need. So I want to document our journey along the way-- maybe eventually I can help others interested in homeschooling, maybe I can just look back on this 10 years from now and see how naive I was... Either way, it should be an exciting journey!









Here is another great article I found on why the author chose to homeschool-- I wholeheartedly agree with her reasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment